Welcome to the Armstrong Siddeley Owners Club
Car Of The Month
1955 346 Sapphire Mk 2
To many, the 346 Sapphire is the most remembered of all Armstrong Siddeley cars. Launched in 1952 and named after the highly successful aero engine, it was a major departure from the previous 16/18 range that had their origins from pre-war cars. The Sapphire was a large, comfortable executive saloon with an all-new 3.4 litre engine of advanced cross flow, square design with hemispherical combustion chambers in the cylinder head. The car was an immediate success with both company executives and the general public and soon became a car to aspire to. Models were available at different times with manual, electric pre-select, and fully automatic gearboxes. There were many optional extras such as power steering, electric windows and driver-controlled adjustable rear shock absorbers. This particular model also has the rare front "bucket" seats and fast lift windows. This 1955 car was found in 1986 by its current owner in a derelict condition and he then spent the next 6 years meticulously restoring it to its current magnificent condition. The car has won many concours prizes far too many to list here but most recently in 2014, the Master Class trophy and the best overall post-war car. Over recent years the car has travelled extensively throughout the UK from its Cheshire home and to events on the near continent. The "346" was one of the success stories from the Armstrong Siddeley factory with a total of nearly 7800 produced.
The club aims to make owning or being interested in Armstrong Siddeley Motors’ products, social and engineering history a more enjoyable and rewarding experience. It does this by providing:
Including car rallies, visits to places of interest and social gatherings. Our flagship event is our annual National Rally & Family Weekend each July. Local area representatives support our UK events. Our members in The Netherlands and Germany regularly organise events in their countries. Our sister clubs, the Armstrong Siddeley Car Club of Australia and the Armstrong Siddeley Car Club of New Zealand, run full programs of events in their countries and are always pleased to see ASOC members attending.
We publish 11 magazines a year, in full colour, known as the Sphinx. These are sent out every month except January by post to all members. A variety of articles are included plus classified adds for members free of charge and commercial advertisements from relevant suppliers.
We hold the most extensive range of spare parts for Armstrong Siddeley vehicles in the world, having bought the entire stock of the original company. We have an extensive re-manufacturing programme in conjunction with our sister clubs sourcing new stock where available and commissioning refurbishment of items as required in addition to stocking a large quantity of original factory stock and used parts. From time to time the Stores also has knowledge of complete cars for sale as restoration projects. Parts are available to members only, but membership is open to all to join. Our stores are located near Bradford-on-Avon and is open every Monday and Tuesday with a full-time stores manager in attendance. For convenience orders can be placed by phone or email and are dispatched promptly.
Technical expertise and support
We hold extensive records of Armstrong Siddeley cars, including build records and parts technical drawings, in addition to a library of general Armstrong Siddeley literature. We also provide model specialist technical helplines for virtually all models to help ensure your car runs smoothly or to provide support for your restoration project.
Our Membership Secretary holds extensive records of individual Armstrong Siddeley cars and can assist members in tracing the history of their car or in securing its original registration. Information on original specification, delivery date etc. is also frequently available.
The club has extensive merchandise including clothing, literature, badges, and accessories. These are dispatched to order by post.
Armstrong Siddeley and its associated logos are the registered trademarks of the Armstrong Siddeley Owners Club Ltd.